Questionnaire process and results
Questionnaire ran from 28/04 untill 14/05. I first interviewed a Japanese girl that was very interested in fashion to get some idea's on what to research/write about. I realized we didn't really know what most Japanese people thought about fashion and that the girl might be a exeption so I decided to do a basic questionnaire to find out more about the general view on Japanese fashion by the Japanese people. We first made the questions in Japanese and asked a native speaker to check them for us. Afterwards I made the actual questionnaire and send it to as many people as possible. We used mostly social media and acquaintances.
- I first tried to use Qualtrics (through my KULeuven account) to make my questionnaire but when I tried to put it online I had to request approval from a list of unknown persons. Since I didn't know any of the persons from the list and thought it would be a bit difficult to send a Japanese questionnaire to a random person, I decided to use Google forms. But because of this the questionnaire was send a bit later than we hoped.
- We only have 83 responses so this questionnaire is not very representative.
- Some people use a different way to write their age so I changed it to a unified way in Excel.
- Because we didn't include an option "none" in the categories "do you know these styles/designers?" a lot of people wrote this in the option "others". So I also made new infographics for these questions with Excel.
- It took a very long way to know how to upload pictures. I first had to convert the graphics to pictures before I could upload them.
- Because of a lack of time, I wasn't able to look for differences in answers between different genders or ages which might have been interesting.
- We had some open questions that were mostly just for our own interest but we're not able to make infographics about them.
What is your gender and what is your age?
Our responsers mostly consist of young adult females.
Do you have any interest in Fashion? Rather suprisingly most people have some or even a lot of interest in fashion. This shows that it is an important part of popular culture in Japan.
When did you become interested in fashion? A variety of answers, quite balanced.
How did you become intersted in fashion? Apart from friends most people got into fashion through magazines, so to be able to make a fashion magazine would have been appropriate.
How much do you think about fashion?
Do you often talk about fashion with friends?
Do you follow a fashionblog or social media pagina?
How interested are you? What do you do with your interest?
In what kind of shops do you shop?
Do you know these styles?
Kawaii Fashion and Genderless Kei are well known in Japan and only Ma is not very known.
Do you know these designers?
Although most people don't know the designers, they are with the most famous ones from Japan and they are very important for Japanese fashion. Through our magazine we hope to teach more people about them.